Thursday, August 27, 2026

U.S. Supreme Court Findings

The U.S. Supreme Court is the most powerful court on Earth


Before watching this documentary, I understood that the Supreme Court was an important part of the U.S. government. What surprised me most was learning how the Court actually operates and how much work the justices do behind the scenes.

One of my biggest takeaways was discovering that there are nine justices who review thousands of petitions from people seeking the Court’s attention. According to the documentary, the justices receive more than 100 cases each week, which adds up to roughly 7,000 cases each year.

Picture of the 9 Justices since 2028. 

The Court examines issues ranging from a president defending commander-in-chief powers to a prisoner claiming a wrongful conviction. The justices must decide whether lower courts applied the law correctly and whether a law is constitutional.

I was also surprised by how much responsibility comes with being a justice.

The documentary explained that the justices not only hear cases but also write opinions that explain the Court’s decisions. The justice who is part of the majority is assigned the task of writing the opinion, and drafts may be revised for weeks before a final version is released.

Artists bring the Supreme Court to life with colors
because there are no photos allowed inside the court.
Another interesting part of the documentary focused on oral arguments. The Court hears arguments in public, and the process was described as a conversation within the Court itself, with justices asking questions and attorneys responding.

This gave me a greater appreciation for lawyers.

Most lawyers argue before three or five judges, but standing before nine justices at once seems incredibly challenging. Each justice brings unique ideas, perspectives, and questions, forcing attorneys to think quickly and defend their arguments from multiple angles.

The documentary also explored important moments in Supreme Court history, including John Marshall’s leadership, Marbury v. Madison in 1803, and the Dred Scott case. It was striking to learn how later constitutional amendments abolished slavery, defined citizenship, and granted voting rights, with many people viewing the Fourteenth Amendment as a second Bill of Rights. These examples showed how the Court earned public respect and became influential in major national issues.

Overall, I came away with a better understanding of how the Supreme Court functions. More importantly, I gained respect for the justices and attorneys who work through difficult legal questions in pursuit of fair decisions.

AI Disclosure: AI was not used in the research and information for this blog post. All information came from the notes that I took while watching a video titled "Supreme Court of the United States." I then prompted Microsoft CopilotPro to help me shape my notes into a blog post between 300 and 350 words written in a smooth, professional style. I then added links to online sources that the reader could peruse for more information. Finally, I added appropriate images and captions to help break up the the type and give it a more professional look.

No comments:

Post a Comment